Sunday, March 28, 2010

Using Time Well

When I was a young boy, my grandfather took me fishing.

I helped him catch the bait by turning over a big plank on the ground and picking out earthworms and grubs before they buried themselves in the moist earth. Sometimes we went to the creek behind the cow pasture and seined for minnows or crawdads.

Sometimes we fished in the creek, usually with a cane pole and bobber.

Sometimes Grandad took me to the Illinois River or Spavinaw Creek or other streams in northeastern Oklahoma.

The truth is, I had no interest at all in catching fish. I was happy to eat them, but catching them provided no particular thrill.

But I valued the time I spent outdoors with my grandfather. I always learned something from him.

It didn't matter that he had only a third grade education. He was able to show me how to do things no one else would. He taught me how to milk a cow, how to ride a horse, how to drive a tractor. I learned how to curry a calf and bait a hook.

People talk about wasting time.

A few days ago, Trent Hamm, a blogger known as The Simple Dollar, examined the issue of "wasted time" and "wasted money."

It is well to reflect on his thoughts.

No comments: