Monday, May 10, 2010

South Avenue Fence

I have been asked several times lately, "when is the fence coming down?"

I modestly point out that I have no inside knowledge anymore. But I have recently learned that the Town of Oriental has given Mr. Lacy Henry a deadline for him to remove the fence.

As some of you may recall, Judge Kenneth Crow signed the Judgment that "the Town of Oriental is the owner of the South Avenue Terminus" on February 5th, 2010. The Superior Court Judgment completed action on a decision by the North Carolina Court of Appeals issued July 7, 2009.

Most of the delay resulted from unsuccessful efforts by Mr. Henry to persuade the Court of Appeals and the North Carolina Supreme Court to review the unanimous decision of a Court of Appeals panel.

Now the Town needs to get moving. The street end leading down to the water needs to be cleaned up and made presentable.

More urgently, we need a plan on how best to use this public asset.

I have some ideas, which I will be sharing with my readers.

No comments: