Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Reflections On Elections

Elections are a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for democracy. By that, I mean representative democracy, which is the only kind that has a chance of functioning in a large nation. But what constitutes representation?

Nearly half of our voters are dissatisfied with the outcome of the presidential election. In North Carolina, more than half of our voters are dissatisfied with the outcome of Congressional elections.

After each election, there appear criticisms and suggestions for how to fix problems.

From my perspective as an election official of the State of North Carolina, I think we have a pretty good system. This reflects sound decisions made years ago by the North Carolina Board of Elections and by my county, Pamlico County.

I plan to make specific comments about problems and possible solutions. I wouldn't trade our problems for those of other states such as Florida and Ohio.

The New York Times posted an interesting discussion on the question of whether our voting system(s) need to be fixed.

In the next days and weeks I plan to add my thoughts to the mix.

No comments: