Friday, January 11, 2013

Mile 181: Fourth Anniversary

I just noticed that today, January 11, 2013, is the fourth anniversary of my first post on Mile 181.

In January, 2009, I was beginning my second year as a Town commissioner.

I had by then been accused of conspiring in secret with other commissioners to modify town ordinances, most notably the noise ordinance. In fact, I had been scrupulous in discussing any public issue with other commissioners one at a time, rather than with two or more. The open meetings act plainly precluded negotiating with enough other commissioners to constitute a majority. So I didn't do that.

It occurred to me that nothing in the Open Meetings Act prevented me from making my positions on issues known to the public at large. I decided that a blog might be a good way to do that.

I started my blog in January, 2009. Here is my first post, explaining my take on the noise problem and my approach to solving it.

In the end, the Board of Commissioners passed a noise ordinance containing a measurable, objective standard. I would have liked it to be a bit more stringent, but when doing the people's business, you have to persuade a majority of the governing body to vote your way. Sometimes that requires more trimming of sails than one might prefer, but compromise is the price of success and the greatest challenge.

I make no apologies for the ordinance.

The ordinance is probably the main reason I wasn't reelected.

I note that subsequent Boards of Commissioners haven't repealed the ordinance.

I also note that I now have occasional readers on every continent. 


No comments: