Saturday, February 9, 2013

2013 Session, NC General Assembly

The 2013 session of the North Carolina Legislative Assembly has been in session for a little over a week. So far, representatives have introduced 87 bills and senators have introduced 75. It's a safe bet that more drafts will be filed in the weeks to come.

Some of the bills are necessarily complex and their effects obscure.

In all cases, key questions that must be answered  for each bill are: "who benefits" and "who pays."

I plan to examine selected bills, especially those bearing on elections, education, energy and transportation.

Once I feel that I understand the bills, I plan to share my thoughts on this blog.

So far, I am prepared to lend my support to two bills:

H 38: Repeal Second Primaries. I support that measure. As I have previously written, not only are second primaries expensive, very few voters turn out. Only eight states, all from the former Confederacy, still hold second or runoff primaries. Best save some money and do away with them.

H 62: Pamlico and Neuse River Ferries/No Tolling. This bill does away with tolls on the Cherry Point/Minnesott Beach and the Aurora ferries. No resident of Pamlico County needs any further explanation.

More to come.

No comments: