Tuesday, May 14, 2013

They Said You Can't Fight City Hall: Yes, You Can

You might not necessarily win, even if you are right. But it is possible to fight City Hall.

It would be better to persuade City Hall to do the right thing in the first place. I didn't succeed at that. This is an example of the kind of thing I've been writing for the past year and a half.

I lost at the first level of Superior Court. The Judge dismissed my complaint. But I have the right to appeal and have filed my notice of appeal. I have also filed a new complaint about the Town's action closing South Avenue.

I don't know if this qualifies as "David v. Goliath," or a lesser struggle. I suspect it is the latter.

In any event, it isn't just my struggle. I have consulted with a couple of dozen very knowledgeable citizens at each step of the way.

It will be long and expensive to try to stop the Town's sale or barter of public rights of way and to protect public access to North Carolina's Public Trust Waters. Just yesterday I spent more than $220 ordering a verbatim transcript of the hearing on the Town's motions to dismiss.

Anyone wanting to contribute to the protection of streets leading to the water can contribute to: ONC Protect Streets, P.O. Box 236, Oriental, NC 28571.

We could easily be at it for another year or more.

No comments: