Saturday, April 3, 2010

Voting in North Carolina

Just got back from a very interesting training session for county election officials offered by the State Board of Elections. I'm still digesting the information.

One message came through loud and clear: North Carolina is one of a very small group of states leading the way in modernization and reform of election law and procedures. Other states and the federal government often look to North Carolina for ideas.

An example is the Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act of 2009 which amended prior law (Uniformed and Overseas Civilian Absentee Voting Act)concerning overseas voters. Of ten provisions in the law, only one provision will require amendment to North Carolina law.

In fact, the US Department of Justice has asked to use North Carolina as a model for other states and as a pilot for new ideas. That speaks well of the leadership of our State Board of Elections.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David,
I have been away for while, so have I missed something? Are you running for an elected position for the County?

See you soon,
Kathy "E"

David Cox said...

Kathy:
No, I am not running for anything. Last month I was appointed to the Pamlico County Board of Elections and am now the chair of that body. So long as I am on the board, I can't run for elected office. Nor can I publicly support any candidate for office or any particular referendum measure. I can still comment on public issues, though.