Monday, October 17, 2011

Cardinals Vs. Rangers? What Gives?

I don't suppose I'm any more surprised than anyone else that the baseball playoff series sent Saint Louis and Texas to the World Series.

Not exactly a subway series.

For you youngsters who don't know what a subway series was, that was a series where the fans could get to all of the games on the subway. It might have happened, for example, between the Boston Red Sox and the Boston Braves. Or the Philadelphia Philles vs. the Philadelphia Athletics. Or more likely, the New York Yankees vs. either the New York Giants or the Brooklyn Dodgers. About the only place a subway series might happen today is between the San Francisco Giants and the Oakland Athletics. Would that be a BART series? Washington Nationals vs Baltimore Orioles doesn't qualify, either. It might be a MARC series.

The first World Series I remember was the 1947 series between the New York Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers. A subway series.

World Series games were daytime games until 1971. The exception is the final inning of the 1949 series was played under the lights. Otherwise the game would have been called because of darkness.

We had no television in Midwest City, Oklahoma in 1947. We followed the World Series on radio. My sixth grade teacher let the class listen to the games. I was the only member of the class who knew how to keep score, so I chalked a big scorecard on the blackboard and kept score during the games. It was a pretty exciting series, going seven games. Even then, I rooted for whoever played the Yankees, but it was in vain. Brooklyn lost.

I'm sure we learned something during those October afternoons, but I don't remember what it was.


No comments: