Monday, May 14, 2012

Who To Vote For?

Rev. Robert Jeffress, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Dallas, remarked a couple of days ago that "I think there's a realization among Christians that Jesus isn't on the ballot this year."  He went on to observe, "many times, voting is voting for the lesser of two evils."

I take exception to the "lesser of two evils" remark - it trivializes and misrepresents the issues and choices facing voters. Democracy isn't easy.

If the Rev. Jeffress means simply that there is no perfect candidate, that is true. But I was intrigued by the "Jesus isn't on the ballot" formula. What if He were? I wondered.  Would so-called fundamentalists or evangelicals vote for Him?

I suspect the answer is "no!" Instead, many of them would probably support the pro-death penalty, public-praying, ostentatious giving, pro-wealth, law and order candidates of the Pharisee party.

No comments: