Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Convention

I've been watching the Republican convention. So far, it has been in all respects conventional.

I confess, I miss the conventions of my youth, where nominations were actually made and the presidential election didn't get started until after Labor Day. In general, I don't think the takeover of the nominating process by primaries has improved the functioning of democracy. On the other hand, certain reforms in both parties have opened up the nominating process to groups (women, African Americans, Hispanics, Asian Americans) formerly left out of the smoke-filled rooms.

This convention has been particularly marked by homilies about individualism, self-reliance, education, and building small businesses.

I have been struck by the number of speakers extolling their immigrant grandparents who arrived with nothing and built businesses.

I don't have a statistical breakdown, but I noticed that many of those who worked hard to complete their education did so under the GI Bill or various government grants. Those who started businesses often borrowed money from the SBA. Or from parents or uncles. Or used other government programs.

I don't recall much specific mention of land grant colleges or federal and state roles in creating our railroad system, ports and waterways. These were all essential to the opportunities our immigrant ancestors found when they arrived.

Why elevate our small businessmen to a pedestal and pay no attention to the craftsmen, teachers, salesmen, soldiers, sailors, nurses, physician's assistants, union members and others whose interest is doing a good day's work for a fair wage and raising a good family?

Just saying.

No comments: