Monday, October 1, 2012

Old Times There Are Not Forgotten

I was moved by Kitty Dumas' op-ed in today's New York Times. She brought back memories of an earlier time and of names forgotten.

Kitty Dumas is too young to know the whole story. (I may be as well).

What moved me most was her account of the young white man at Ole Miss expressing gratitude for what Kitty Dumas' generation had done for him. There are some Mississippians who get it. I wish there were more who understood the Civil Rights movement was for them, too.

I'm glad to know that Jim Silver is still remembered at Ole Miss. And his friend William Faulkner. Other Mississippians come to mind who fought the good fight in the 1950's, before there was a Civil Rights movement: Will Campbell, Hodding Carter, P.D. East, Hazel Brannon Smith, and countless ministers of all faiths and colors.

Those stories also need to be told.

No comments: