Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Problems With Education

One of my problems well into my eighth decade is that I have lived for more than a third of the nation's history. For most of that time I was paying attention.

When engineers test materials or products, they have two kinds of tests: destructive tests and non-destructive tests. I have believed for a long time that our national obsession with testing has led to widespread use of destructive tests on our children.

A letter posted on Diane Ravitch's blog lends support to my view. The problem is not created by teachers, but by an unholy combination of politicians, school administrators and charlatans in the testing industry (not to mention the industrial-education complex).

I'll have more to say about this after the election.

In the meantime, I reflect on the fact that I never heard a word about supposed failures of the school system until school integration began to actually happen. Is there a connection? You can bet on it.

No comments: