Tuesday, February 2, 2010

South Avenue: The Fence

The fence at the end of South Avenue has been there, as best I can tell from correspondence, since 1992. It is entirely within the boundaries of the town's rights of way for South Avenue and Avenue A.

The fence needs to come down as soon as possible after the Superior Court judge signs the final order carrying out the decision of the North Carolina Court of Appeals. Before removing the fence, there is a significant task that needs to be done - clean up the mess along the waterline and in the underbrush behind the fence. There may be residual machinery and other junk remaining from when the marine railway last operated. Under the terms of the last lease to Mr. Henry, anything remaining on the right of way at expiration of the lease belongs to the town.

Rather than wait until the town is able to obtain a clean-up grant, it seems to me a good idea to have a clean-up party. I would be happy to collect names of Oriental residents willing to volunteer to help in the clean-up. Drop a line to me, David Cox at cox.d.r@att.net. I'll collect the names and pass them on to town hall.

You can read more about this case at TownDock.Net

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave...I'm so excited about this...If I were there I would definitely volunteer to be a part of the clean-up party...Phyllis