Thursday, February 4, 2010

Use it or Lose it

Some people out there think since I failed to be reelected last November, I should sit down and shut up.

Fat Chance!

I value free speech and open discourse too much to do that.

If you simply observe public events quietly and passively without exercising the right to speak freely, there may come a time when your speech organs have atrophied.

The challenge to those who wish to speak up is to speak clearly while avoiding personal invective, pejorative labels, and ad-hominem arguments. That's my goal. I hope I write dispassionately, but please do not mistake dispassionate discussion for a lack of passion about the issues.

What I seek to do is identify whatever the real problem may be and to offer logical, well thought out solutions.

I may not always succeed, but I'd rather try and fail than not to try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your passion & your desire to offer solutions excites and motivates me. I recently spoke up and offered my "unsolicited" thoughts to an individual who may or may not heed my good advice. However, as with you, "I'd rather try and fail than not to try at all". I appreciate your determination and inclination to never give up...a good rule to live by. Phyllis